The following information was shared by the Salvation Army of Siouxland. This is based on a Salvation Army blog post http://blog.salvationarmyusa.org/2013/05/21/disaster-relief-in-moore-ok-ways-you-can-help/.
The Salvation Army’s Emergency Disaster Services (EDS) is providing food, beverage, and spiritual support to survivors and first responders following the severe tornado activity and damage in Oklahoma yesterday and today.
· The Salvation Army is currently mobilizing disaster response units to serve hard-hit areas in Central Oklahoma, including Moore and South Oklahoma City.
· The Salvation Army has been responding to many impacted areas throughout Oklahoma today, including:
o In Pottawatomie County: The McAlester, OK and Shawnee, OK disaster response teams served multiple locations in the Shawnee area, including devastated neighborhoods and rural areas throughout the night and day. Around 3:00 PM all units were pulled into safety as tremendous storms threatened the area. Response teams will be out once again upon an all-clear.
o In Lincoln County: The Enid, OK canteen provided breakfast, lunch & dinner to the Carney, OK area throughout the early morning hours and all day today.
o In Cleveland County: The Central Oklahoma Area Command Disaster Service Unit responded to the Little Axe area with breakfast, lunch & dinner today. The Salvation Army was responding, even as one of our Salvation Army family member's home was destroyed.
Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel are mobilized. The Salvation Army of Siouxland Disaster Team will be ready at a moment’s notice if called upon to assist following the disaster in Oklahoma.
· Donors are encouraged to give online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
· You can also text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes.”*
· Donations in the form of checks designated to Oklahoma Tornado Relief may also be mailed to:
The Salvation Army
PO Box 783
Sioux City, IA 51102
Your donations make a real difference.
· A $10 donation feeds a disaster survivor for one day.
· A $30 donation provides one food box, containing staple foods for a family of four, or one household cleanup kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets and other cleaning supplies
· A $100 donation can serve snacks and drinks for 125 survivors and emergency personnel at the scene of a disaster
· A $250 donation can provide one hot meal to 100 people or keep a hydration station operational for 24 hours
· A $500 donation keeps a Salvation Army canteen (mobile feeding unit) fully operational for one day