The following is the weekly article for the South Sioux City Public Library published in the Dakota County Star newspaper. We would like to thank the staff of the Star for supporting our library.
LifeStory Writing Workshop “The world is made of stories, not atoms,” as the poet said, and on Thursday, August 1, 2013, 6:00 to 8:00 pm, those who come to the writing workshop at the South Sioux City Public Library will get a chance to show how true that is.
Kempthorne, a writer and teacher who has made a career of
helping people write the stories of their life, will conduct a two hour
workshop at the Library at that time.
Kempthorne, who was a pioneer in the “Memoir Movement”, started the
first reminiscence writing workshop anywhere in 1976 in his hometown of . “Everyone can write stories,” Kempthorne
insists, “and often the ones who have the least training as writers do the best
job.” Manhattan, KS,
Muslim Journeys Bookshelf Book Talk The library recently received a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the American Library Association. The grant of books and movies explore the diversity of Islamic culture around the world. The books cover subjects of art, history, literature, science and religious traditions. The book talk will introduce you to each of the books included in the bookshelf.
American Adventures Month To celebrate American Adventures Month we will be learning about each of the
with books, hands on activities, pictures, and take-home games. Come join our
fun! On August 2nd we will
discuss North America, August 7th Central America and August 9th
South America. All programs will be held at 1:00 p.m.
Celebrate the State Fairs It is state fair time in the heartland and the library has caught the state fair fever. Join us for one of these game events inspired by the state fair.
• Bubble Gum Blowing Contest August 5th at 6:00 p.m. – Come Blow the biggest bubble!
• Beanbag Toss August 6th at 2:00 p.m. – Toss the Beanbag through the holes to win a prize!
• Can Toss August 8th at 1:30 p.m. – Try your hand at knocking down our cans!
• Best Smile August 9th at 11:30 a.m. – Kids, step up and get your best smile photographed and let the community judge!
• Dart Throw August 13th at 4:30 p.m. – Can you pop the balloons with the darts?
• Hoopla August 15th at 5:00 p.m. – Toss the ring around the toy and win that prize!
• Penny Drop August 20th at 4:30 p.m. – Can your coin make it in the cup in the middle of the aquarium?
• Pie Throwing Contest August 22nd at 4:30 p.m. – Ready, Aim, Throw your pies! Who will the target be?
• Book Walk August 27th at 5:00 p.m. – Be lucky enough to land on the right number when the music stops and win a book!
• Marshmallow Catapult August 29th at 5:00 p.m. – Stop by and build your catapult and grab some mini-marshmallows to hit the target.
Wednesday Night Clubs Are you looking for something fun on Wednesday evenings? Are you in Grades 3-6? You will love our Wednesday Night Clubs.
1st Wednesday of the month 6:30 p.m. – CoventryCares Wii Program: We will talk about a health subject for 15 minutes and then play the Wii for some healthy fun
2nd Wednesday of the month 6:30 p.m. – Lego® Club: We will have some free time to build with Lego® blocks and some instructional building time too
3rd Wednesday of the month 6:30 p.m. – Mad Scientist Club: We will experiment with different science subjects each meeting; experiments, learning, fun!
4th Wednesday of the month 6:30 p.m. – Technology Kids Club: Looking to learn something new? Want to teach us something fun? Have a question? Want to explore a new website that has fun games?
Registration is required for all club programs.
All these and more programs are at the South Sioux City Public Library.