Monday, December 16, 2013

Candle Safety

The following is from the Dakota County Emergency Management Team.

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
·         Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
·         Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
·         Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
·          
If you do burn candles, make sure that you... 
·         Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
·         Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
·         Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
·         Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
·         Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
·         Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

No comments: