Thursday, August 21, 2014

2014 Hispanic Heritage Month Essay Contest

The Nebraska Latino American Commission invites the youth of Nebraska to participate in the
8th Annual Hispanic Heritage Month State Commemoration Essay Contest

For our theme, we have chosen quotes from two influential Hispanic leaders: Jaime Escalante and Frida Kahlo.

Please choose one of the quotes below and tell us what their words mean to you:

1. Jaime Escalante: Educator – “One of the greatest things you have in life is that no one has the authority to tell you what you want to be. You’re the one who’ll decide what you want to be. Respect yourself and respect the integrity of others as well. The greatest thing you have is your self-image, a positive opinion of yourself. You must never let anyone take it from you.” 
2. Frida Kahlo: Artist – “I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.” 

Read complete press release. 

No comments: